The students at Georgia State know it well. As do the regulars around the Pencil Factory Flats & Shops and Grant Park. And if you enjoy the atmosphere of a neighborhood bar where everybody knows your name, you need to check out Hill Street Tavern on Decatur St.
Beer lovers rejoice. Hill Street Tavern boasts twenty beers on tap including Guinness, Harp, Jacks Hard Cider, Stella, Fat Tire, Dig, Rare Vos, Duvel, Boddingtons, Maredsous, Dos Equis Amber, Terrapin Hopsecutioner, Miller Lite, Yeungling, Sweetwater IPA, Sweetwater 420, Sweetwater Exodus, Blue Moon, and Miller High Life.
And just in time for the warmer weather, two spring seasonal have arrived: Dig by New Belgium, an extra pale ale, and The Exodus by Sweetwater, a porter.
Hill Street offers daily specials for lunch and dinner including a 16oz Guinness Marinated Rib Eye, Grilled Salmon over Israeli Couscous, Shrimp Pasta, and a Braised Lamb Shank in a Mint Apricot Sauce. And this isn’t your typical bar food. On a recent visit, friends and I were very pleased with the Hummus, Fried Green Tomato and Chicken Finger appetizers we enjoyed as an afternoon snack. As you’ll see in the photos below, each dish was prepared and presented with care. And after glancing at the About Us section of Hill Street’s website, the back story on the great food is clear to me – one of Hill Street’s two owners is a classically trained chef and the other is part of the restaurant family that brought us the Old Hickory House, a restaurant my family has been frequenting for years!
One of the best things about Hill Street, however, is the events it hosts every night of the week. It’s always fun to go to a bar with friends, but specials, card games and music make it even better. Here’s the weekly download. I encourage you to like Hill Street Tavern on Facebook to keep up with other special events or schedule changes.
- Sunday – Full House Texas Hold ‘Em Poker – Games at 7:00p, and 10:00pm
- Monday – Texas Hold ‘Em by Interstate Poker – Game starts at 7:30pm
- Tuesday – Twisted Tuesday Power Hour: $5 Cover includes bottomless beer from 10:00pm-11:00pm, a live DJ and $4 well drinks
- Wednesday – Wine specials and tastings
- Thursday – $3.00 pints of 15 of our beers on tap all day and night
- Friday and Saturday nights often include live jazz, blues, bluegrass, and rock! Specifics are usually posted on Facebook as they book bands.
Bottom line – you really can’t go wrong here. Good beer, good food, good friends. Hill Street Tavern is the neighborhood pub you’ve been looking for.