The Atlanta Contemporary Art Center (ACAC) has been bringing Atlanta contemporary art created by emerging and established artists since 1973. Its 30,000 square foot campus of exhibition galleries, artist studios, a community resource room, gift shop, staff offices, and outdoor spaces was constructed in the 1920s and has served as ACAC’s operating space since 1989. In celebration of the 40th anniversary, it’s time for a makeover!
ACAC’s renovation will improve the facility to better accommodate future exhibitions, programs, events and visitors. Specifically, the renovation will:
- Reconfigure the gallery space to create a dedicated lecture hall/event space for screenings, lectures, conferences and parties
- Update the lobby, reception areas, and restrooms to meet the needs of 10,000+ visitors annually
- Provide the outdoor pavilion with a weather-proof covering and effective lighting for year-round programs and events
- Redesign the resource room for more effective usage and community engagement
- Update all spaces with fresh paint, new lighting and energy-efficient HVAC systems
Renovation work is scheduled to begin in late June 2013. At that time, ACAC’s indoor facility will be closed to the public, but the outdoor space will remain open and available for programming and event rentals. The renovation is expected to be complete by mid-September 2013.
As you might guess, all this great work takes money. ACAC has made it super easy for anyone who wants to make a donation to help ensure the success of the renovation and ACAC’s future in its upgraded facility. Simply visit the capital campaign page on ACAC’s website and give in the amount of your choice. Your contribution will allow ACAC to support 40 more years of adventures in art.
If you haven’t yet visited ACAC, get over there! Take a look at their current exhibitions and plan your visit. And remember, thanks to a partnership with IntownApartments.com, Thursdays at ACAC are FREE to the public.